Mental health awareness involves making an effort to be conscious of our needs and our feelings. This is an important part of how we prevent our stress level from building up to the point where we begin to feel overwhelmed.
How do we maintain good mental health awareness and take care of our emotional health? Here are some suggestions:
- Seek to balance your normal daily responsibilities with some of the things you enjoy.
- Remember to take breaks and consider building them into your schedule.
- Look for opportunities to be helpful to others. This can be a great way to maintain positive self-esteem, as we all appreciate being valued for what we do.
- Practice your self-discipline by setting attainable goals to generate a sense of accomplishment and minimize negative thoughts.
- Check in with yourself periodically and pay attention to how you are feeling. Seeking help early can make a big difference.
- Learn something new (e.g., take a class, join a book club, try a do-it-yourself project).
- When someone who knows you well expresses concern about you, take them seriously. We do not always recognize when we are struggling, and this sort of feedback is often valuable.